Saturday, October 06, 2007

Wiener Schnitzel mit Spätzle



I saw Liz's post on Wiener Schnitzel, and I knew I needed to make it straight away! I think this must have been the first meal I had the very first time I visited Germany. Definitely love at first taste - especially the spätzle. Every cuisine has its own version of this. Probably most popular here in the States being Chicken Parmesan. But I grew up with my mom's version: a simple panko-encrusted pork chop.

This was actually my first time making spätzle. Not bad results. I didn't have a spätzle maker, and the holes in my colander (a typical spätzle maker substitute) were too small. So I improvised with the large holes on the cheese grater. I would have liked to make longer strands of the noodle, instead of the short nubbly ones I ended up with. That may be due to a consistency issue, or the fact I couldn't push large amounts of batter through the flat cheese grater. Hmmm... a potato ricer might be nice for this purpose. If only I had one.

No comments: