Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Asian Spiced Kedgeree


Adapted from Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson. I believe this recipe is a British-English take on an Indian dish (I can’t quite recall, as I don’t have my copy of the book here in NYC). I love that it’s perfumed with those heady, smoky spices. And that wonderful yellow tinge the rice takes on as you coat it with the spices. The nutty aroma as you let the rice toast with the spices, as in the picture above. Personally, I like it with salmon, as in the book. Instead of steam/poaching the salmon in the oven, I like to pan sear it for an extra bit of texture. But since I usually make it for my sister, I use chicken or shrimp instead. A good dousing of fish sauce and lime juice give the dish a saltiness and sourness that resonates a Southeast Asian tone.

No comments: